On this blog you can find my ramblings about the baby Dear Jane's® (all 225 patterns).


I will regularly post a picture about the ‘babies’ that have been constructed. Each block is unique and belong to its maker, Jane A. Stickle, they are all derived from the original ‘mother’ quilt:

‘In War Times 1863 Pieces 5602 Jane A. Stickle’.

Dear Jane® Progress

Dear Jane Status

                             
  A-1 A-2 A-3 A-4 A-5 A-6 A-7 A-8 A-9 A-10 A-11 A-12 A-13  
  B-1 B-2 B-3 B-4 B-5 B-6 B-7 B-8 B-9 B-10 B-11 B-12 B-13  
  C-1 C-2 C-3 C-4 C-5 C-6 C-7 C-8 C-9 C-10 C-11 C-12 C-13  
  D-1 C-2 D-3 D-4 D-5 D-6 D-8 D-9 D-10 D-11 D-12 D-13  
  E-1 E-2 E-3 E-4 E-5 E-9 E-10 E-11 E-12 E-13  
  F-1 F-2 F-3 F-4 F-10 F-11 F-12 F-13  
  G-1 G-2 G-3 G-4 G-11 G-12 G-13  
  H-1 H-2 H-3 H-4 H-5 H-9 H-10 H-11 H-12 H-13  
  I-1 I-2 I-3 I-4 I-5 I-6 I-8 I-9 I-10 I-11 I-12 I-13  
  J-1 J-2 J-3 J-4 J-5 J-6 J-7 J-8 J-9 J-10 J-11 J-12 J-13  
  K-1 K-2 K-3 K-4 K-5 K-6 K-7 K-8 K-9 K-10 K-11 K-12 K-13  
  L-1 L-2 L-3 L-4 L-5 L-6 L-7 L-8 L-9 L-10 L-11 L-12 L-13  
  M-1 M-2 M-3 M-4 M-5 M-6 M-7 M-8 M-9 M-10 M-11 M-12 M-13  
                             

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Don’t you just love….. Civil War Quilts?

I’m absolutely smitten with the quilts from this era and how stories are kept alive through quilt patterns. If you haven’t guessed by now I’m talking about the American Civil War 1861 – 1865. Almost all the inter-regional crises involved slavery. This led to a division in The Union along the Mason Dixon Line into the North (free of slaves), and the South, where slavery remained legal.

image

But it is not just the quilts that inspire me. I’m also interested in the history of this period. Would love to read more about the abolitionism movement, the women of the American Civil War, and Woman's Christian Temperance Union.  Many quilts were made for both fundraising and for the soldiers' bedding during the Civil War. The soldiers' quilts were generally made with basic fabrics and very simple block patterns. Time was always an issue, so the faster the quilts could be made the better. I know from experience that Jane Stickle didn’t keep all the patterns in the Dear Jane simple. Some are a real challenge. Maybe this provided her a much wanted distraction. To keep the mind from wondering and the hands busy.

Do you want to read more about the different patterns and get a quilt block free? Visit the Civil War Quilts blog that Barbara Brackman publishes. I’m very appreciative of her effort and in awe of the inspiration she provides.

It pleases me that I’m not the only one who is fascinated with the Dear Jane and other Civil War quilts. Cathy from Willow Valley Store (Australia) has also started on the Dear Jane. Do check out her blog. Through Cathy’s blog I surfed on to Marian’s blog (Marian Edwards DreamWeaver). Marian has made some beautiful blocks. You have to see the amazing fabrics she is using for your self, just click on the hyperlink. 

For those who read my blog, if you have any suggestions on books I should read about  this era just send an e-mail with your suggestions. It is very much appreciated. If you happen to know of other quilters who are fascinated by civil war quilts and are in the progress of making a civil war quilt, please provide me the URL of their blogs. Would love to follow their progress.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Helen, thanks for your lovely comments on my blog and adding a link to it..that's very sweet of you!! I see you're just as keen on civil war era stuff too..i just can't get enough of it! After checking your blog you've got me all enthused about getting back to making more Dear Jane blocks..it's been awhile!
    btw i've caught up on all my BB civil war blocks..YAY! i posted about them earlier today.
    Happy stitching...cheers, Marian

    ReplyDelete