On this blog you can find my ramblings about the baby Dear Jane's® (all 225 patterns).


I will regularly post a picture about the ‘babies’ that have been constructed. Each block is unique and belong to its maker, Jane A. Stickle, they are all derived from the original ‘mother’ quilt:

‘In War Times 1863 Pieces 5602 Jane A. Stickle’.

Dear Jane® Progress

Dear Jane Status

                             
  A-1 A-2 A-3 A-4 A-5 A-6 A-7 A-8 A-9 A-10 A-11 A-12 A-13  
  B-1 B-2 B-3 B-4 B-5 B-6 B-7 B-8 B-9 B-10 B-11 B-12 B-13  
  C-1 C-2 C-3 C-4 C-5 C-6 C-7 C-8 C-9 C-10 C-11 C-12 C-13  
  D-1 C-2 D-3 D-4 D-5 D-6 D-8 D-9 D-10 D-11 D-12 D-13  
  E-1 E-2 E-3 E-4 E-5 E-9 E-10 E-11 E-12 E-13  
  F-1 F-2 F-3 F-4 F-10 F-11 F-12 F-13  
  G-1 G-2 G-3 G-4 G-11 G-12 G-13  
  H-1 H-2 H-3 H-4 H-5 H-9 H-10 H-11 H-12 H-13  
  I-1 I-2 I-3 I-4 I-5 I-6 I-8 I-9 I-10 I-11 I-12 I-13  
  J-1 J-2 J-3 J-4 J-5 J-6 J-7 J-8 J-9 J-10 J-11 J-12 J-13  
  K-1 K-2 K-3 K-4 K-5 K-6 K-7 K-8 K-9 K-10 K-11 K-12 K-13  
  L-1 L-2 L-3 L-4 L-5 L-6 L-7 L-8 L-9 L-10 L-11 L-12 L-13  
  M-1 M-2 M-3 M-4 M-5 M-6 M-7 M-8 M-9 M-10 M-11 M-12 M-13  
                             

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Another baby Jane

Hi again!  I’m baaaack!  I would like to present my adventures with the Dear Jane.

Wednesday evening I had a lovely time at Juud’s place. You can read more about it here.

2011_07_13_DJ bij Juud-flowers-boeks

The next day I completed this beauty. Isn’t it stunning yellow? I really like H7 – Bennington’s Star. Have to still look up why it is called Bennington. Will let you know if I discover something worth writing about.

2011_07_14_flowers-birds-dj

As you can see the Dear Jane is coming along nicely. I’ve finally finished 5 baby Jane’s (blocks)!! As I’m on a roll I thought I would start with an other block – H8, Eaton’s crossroads. This little baby has a lot of appliqué in it.

2011_07_14_flowers-birds-dj1

Saturday I had a discussion with Karin about the colour of this block. She interpreted the fabric being brownish of colour. I though it was more purple. Do you think Jane would mind if it looks a little different to the one she made?

I’m slowly realizing I’ve undertaken a real challenge. One that will keep me busy for the next 5 years, and I think I’m only talking about completing the top. Let’s not contemplate on how many more years it will take to quilt this beauty. Did I mention that I’m hand piecing every block. No, sewing machine is coming near this quilt in progress.

Let’s not start nagging about how small the blocks are. Lets not go there. They are sooooooo small. Sorry, I love to nag once in a while. I think it is hard for people – not quilters - to imagine how small the pieces are. Sometimes you only need 2 stitches to fit two pieces together.

I also ponder whether I should blame Jane or Brenda for this tedious undertaking. According to Brenda not all the baby Jane’s were that small (11,5 x 11,5 cm).

Saturday I travelled with Juud to her sister Karin, who lives in the east part of the Netherlands. It was about an hours drive. I had a terrific time. We worked on our baby Jane’s. Karin also showed her other works. There are so many. You can read about it on my regular blog.

2011_07_16_DJ bij Karin

I brought some brownie cookies. Boy, were they delicious and filling. I had a whole one!! Karin made some soup for lunch. She adapted her recipe to make it a low-salt vegetable soup. She remember reading about it on my blog. I was very surprised that she had been reading my other blog for about 3 years. She finally met the real Helen and it seems that the virtual Helen doesn’t differ much from the real one. 

Juud had some difficulties with Papa’s Star! That makes me soooooo happy. On Wednesday I was sure she would piece this baby together faster than me. But Saturday she noticed when she had finished piecing this baby that it just didn’t look right. I won’t go into it too much as I’m sure she will write about it on her blog. For the observant reader I’m sure you can see what I’m talking about.

Had a great day and looking forward to the next one. In September the quilt circle will take place on a Saturday. My dream to realize a Dear Jane circle will finally come true. I just have to be a little more patient in the future. All things do turn out for the best in the long run.

Helen, the quilter

4 comments:

  1. Good for you: 5 little blocks finished. Reading your story I get the feeling you are enjoying yourself. Have fun!
    Marian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were you sooooooo happy to see me suffer!!! No more late night stitching for me. Love your blog, i still need to make mine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Altijd gezellig zo samen prullen. Schattig blokje heb je gemaakt. En ik denk dat Jane niet boos is hoor als je kleur een beetje afwijkt ;)
    Geniet van je week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blocks are really coming along nicely. I'm collecting fabrics that I think will work for this, but still need to buy the software and book...

    You, my friend are making my fingers itch and I really don't need another project right now!

    ReplyDelete